5.01.2011

Size Extra Medium

He's nifty! He's fifty! JOE QUINLAN

"I haven't decided - the fact that you're wearing Uncle Joe's t-shirt is either really cool or slightly morbid," I said to my dad Tony after he arrived in town, wearing my deceased uncle's shirt in the kitchen* during our impromptu family get-together last weekend.

*we always sit in the kitchen. I'm not sure why this is, other than the fact that it's closest to the refrigerator so the beer is more accessible. A more practical option might be to hang out near the bathroom.

My sister Tiffany chimed in, "I think it's really cool. Some of the kids in my school would wear the shirts, and it always made me happy when I saw them."

Celebratory shirts. Maybe the best way to feel closer to the people in our lives would be to steal their party clothes. If only my family had better fashion sense.

9 comments:

Sultan said...

No one is truly gone as long as they are remembered in the hearts and minds of the ones who loved them.

LQ said...

I love that he still wears it! I will never forget how pissed my dad was when he saw those shirts...

ColleenQ said...

Laoch: wise man, you are.

Lacy: I didn't realize there were more than one until Tiffany explained. I think it's a brilliant idea...as soon as I think of something that rhymes with "68", Tony's in trouble!

CaseyQ said...

Better get going, It's getting late. Night comes early when you're 68!

ColleenQ said...

I love it, Casey! If we could translate it into Latin, I'm positive he'd wear it...

CaseyQ said...

"Melior proficiscere, suus questus tardus. Nox venit mane cum sis LXVIII"

ColleenQ said...

Awesome, Casey, but I'm doing some math and think he might be only 66...you figure out the latin, I'll bring the shirts. Party in Roscompton in October!

Anonymous said...

How about this?

Tony Quinlan
He's 66
And still Kicks.

And this is Kelly. :)

Also, I don't think it's morbid... whatever gets you through the day. What better way to honor a loved brother or friend, than letting their favorite shirt shine?

I say this as I wore Nevada's shirt today. It took time. At first, it is hard... but later it's a nice memory to travel the day with.

Anonymous said...

I wear my mom's jewelry,her socks, and carry her (fake) lepoard skin purse. I do draw the line at her orange polyester halter dress with the fake fur trim! Dee