6.18.2011

Mo' money, time and cable

Not that I've ever had much of either, but I've definitely noticed money and time seldom co-exist in my world. Unemployed while living in Germany, I could have spent months skiing the Alps (if I knew how) or riding boats down the Rhine. Capital One's propensity to deny charges over my credit limit curbed my reckless abandon, however. Now? I have access to more funds, but work beaucoup hours with minimal vacation. It seldom leaves time for globetrotting.

It's occurred to me that blogging and actually having something to post seem to be mutually exclusive as well. Case in point: I returned home from my trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, armed with three cameras full of digital photos, only to discover internet and cable had been disconnected in my absence.

When Time Warner changed my account number a few months ago, then charged late fees because they didn't receive payment, I simply stopped paying. I refused to pay for the month that hadn't happened yet, or the reconnection fee. I'll call your bluff, giant corporate monopoly-holding bully.

It turns out six days of bluff calling and quiet introspection is all I really need. I called TW, out of curiousity, to discuss options, then upgraded to digital cable for my old school televisions. Now when I'm at work, I can record all the quality shows I'm missing.

5 comments:

Sultan said...

Don't give in to the man!

Tony said...

The only way tV makes sense, is to record it.

DavidShag said...

I noticed the 'time or money' dilemma a long time ago. I had so MUCH money when I was working. The problem was that to endure the crashing depressing boredom of work, I 'rewarded' myself with all kinds of silly purchases - many of which I never even took out of the box. Then when I had time - the money was all gone. When I was young, somehow I didn't mind it - I could wing it believing it would all work out. I hitched to California with $16.50 in my pocket. Now, however, I understand that odd term 'consequences'. Before I thought of them, I never seemed to have any. Since I retired it is all time and no money. Sometimes that is as bad as the reverse.
Don't you hate yourself when you cave at times when you are right. I'd never have lasted six days. no TV?? And yet, I can hardly think of a thing worth watching. But -ah, the comfort of knowing I CAN watch, in case all else fails. And all else usually does...

ColleenQ said...

Laoch: I was strong...for 6 days.

TQ: or, some might say, Netflix is the only logical choice.

DavidShag: you're back! Funny thing about the digital recorder - I can program any/as many shows as I want, yet I can't think of anything worthwhile either. It must be the filler/background noise I miss. Well, and I wouldn't mind watching a big game once in a while...maybe I should just spend more time at bars.

flooz said...

I have this problem too--money piling up because of no time to spend it. My main retirement goal, if ever forced to retire, is to have enough to continue cable TV and internet access. Thank God for Housewives--I eat them all up except for New Jersey, and will quit Atlanta if they don't get Neenee (sp) off there. And I sleep through everything. Hopefully that won't be a problem when I retire.