9.15.2010

Revolution No. 20

While visiting my son Patrick, we took a road trip to Savannah, about an hour away, so he could tell his dad about the assault. He didn't necessarily want to, but I mentioned that all the medical tests and treatment would be showing up on insurance bills, and it might be wise to give advanced warning. Better to get yelled at now, while his bruises might garner a wee bit of sympathy.*

*True to form, his dad yelled. "What were you doing in a bar?! And in a parking lot at that time of night?!" Then yelled some more. "Why didn't you tell me earlier? And I'm not paying that ticket!" He's nothing, if not predictable.

I wisely killed an hour at the mall, then waited in the bookstore, while Patrick did his time. When he came back to get me, I told him to pick out a book, which he did with enthusiasm. Fidel Castro: My Life: A Spoken Autobiography. He's pretty sure I'll be reading the 700+ page endeavor after he finishes. I'm pretty sure I won't.

Now on his Facebook page: ‎"A man is not entirely the master of his own destiny. A man is also the child of circumstances, of difficulties, of struggle. Problems gradually sculpt him like a lathe sculpts a piece of metal. A man is not born a revolutionary, I'd venture to say." - FC.

9 comments:

Sultan said...

Your son is an interesting person. The Fidel book is quite interesting. At one point oddly, it seemed like he would be a major league pitcher. The world would have been a lot different if the Giants had signed him I guess.

ColleenQ said...

Laoch: interesting, always! My dad says he's going to be famous by the next family reunion, and I'm tempted to agree with him. And I suppose it wouldn't kill me to read an autobiography...

The Gaelic Wife said...

Apt quote, given his talking-to and the choice of books. He sounds like he's actually got his head on straight. Just a few missteps along the way. Like all of us had.

The Gaelic Wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol Q said...

Famous, maybe. Infamous, definitely! Can't imagine how you keep up with him. As they said in the'60's, "What a trip."

TQ said...

Rick has a well developed sense of who he is. This bodes well for the future.

DavidShag said...

I disagree with the 'man is not born a revolutionary' quote. I think some folks ARE born that way, it is just the circumstances that select what he rebels against, and if he is a hero or villain. Not much point in rebelling against monarchy if you live in Iceland.
I LOATHE people who tout their own blogs in other people's comment area, but I happened to notice that in Kittycatlane's blog you commented that you couldn't find my blog, so for that reason alone I went to my own blog and cut the URL I saw and am pasting it here: http://davidshag.blogspot.com/. However, the reason I was on the Blogger site in the first place was to post about a certain aspect of my own teenage rebellion, so it may be a propos here. Unfortunately it's a bit long (as is my wont) for a comment area.
And my whole day is brightened by your kind words about me on Kit's blogsite - I am imagining that hordes of eager folks are looking for me now, but need only a pointer to the wisdom I disseminate. Grandiosity, I feel, is only a fault in others; in me it looks kind of cute.

Sultan said...

Oh I wanted to note that your favorite list of books really contains some wonderful tomes.

ColleenQ said...

David: what's funny is that my son didn't agree with the quote, either - it just gave him pause for thought. And you have no idea how happy I am that you passed along your blog address - self promotion looks extra cute on you.

Laoch: which reminds me: stop reading more than one book at a time! I've never understood how some people can be so capable (and smart) to fall into several books at the same time. ;)