6.25.2012

As the flames rose to her Roman nose

I was actually proud of myself for remembering the bag of African Violet potting soil in the kitchen when the gas grill caught fire.

I was probably 35 the first time I ever used a grill, which was a relic left by the people who rented my house. The ignition switch didn't work, so I'd turn on the propane, grab a long-handled lighter and hope for the best. A successful event involved very little of my arm hair getting singed. During the 15 years prior, Ed would marinate, rub and grill, which actually proves you can have too much of a good thing. Steak again? Please let me make Hamburger Helper!

I believe I've been given a second (or third) chance after this recent blaze. Not that I have the ability or interest to change much, but I'll definitely return to my burning-dinner-in-the-oven roots, with the occasional smoke alarm on the side, rather than using fireballs.

7 comments:

junquedujour said...

playing with fire again, eh? but the real deal this time. danger girl.

damn CQ, you do live on the edge. it's just so boring in the 'safe zone' ha!

good to see this pop up on my 'unread feeds'.

Tony said...

Love the title along with the thinking, "Great danger is great joy."

DavidShag said...

So when you singed your arm, Ed would marinate, rub and grill it? What a guy! Better than a spa.

I must be un American or something but I never GOT outside grilling. I'll eat whatever is cooked - inside or out (as long as it isn't fish or innards) but I really get no special thrill from the outside stuff. My idea is that god made microwaves for a reason. And the drinks are closer.

TiffanyBerry said...

They don't call you, Burnin' down the house for nothin! Blaze on, Pants!

terri said...

We didn't start the fire, it was always burning, la di dah dah...<3

Laoch of Chicago said...

Cook out time!

L said...

I always throw the matches at the grill while standing as far away as I can. The boom as the gas ignites has always made me jump.