2.04.2007

Apache over Baghdad


Naturally, I was curious when my phone rang this morning and my ex-husband's number appeared. Being tax season, I figured he was calling to share his sob story about having all that income, with nothing to claim, poor baby, and didn't answer. He didn't leave a message, which was perplexing, so I hunkered down and prepared to stand my ground (crying if necessary) when I called back. He told me, instead, that his friend from Ft. Campbell had been one of the pilots shot down and killed in Iraq the other day. His family had stayed here in Alabama, while he finished his final year before retirement.

His wife & I had walked our kids to school together; invited one another to Tupperware parties and giggled over wine at aviation functions. Their daughter has a crush on my son, and they joke over whose car kicks more ass (neither's).

I feel such an overwhelming sense of loss for the family that was just like mine; for the daughters and wife he left behind. It could have been us, and nothing in the war thus far has hit so closely. All the numbers and statistics and finger-pointing because the U.S. didn't offer enough troops for sacrifice...and I still don't understand why. Lousy, shitty war.

4 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

I'm sorry to come onto this blog at such a bad time. I had my war but then it was easy to be brave as I had no wife.
Strength to you all.

Kelly said...

That is so awful. I'm so sorry for you and for Ed. Please tell him I'm thinking of him.

Every time I hear any war related news, I get afraid for Ed and for cousin Casey.

Kelly

jnuts said...

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I have no words of wisdom, no beautiful, uplifting thoughts to share. Just know I'm thinking of you, and thankful that Ed made it back safely.

Last night on the news, there was a story about a 20-year-old 'boy' who died on his last day of deployment. His family had already started the celebration of his return. Truly heartbreaking.

Fuck this war. Fuck Bush.

ColleenQ said...

Old Knudsen: war's never easy, I know.

Kelly: Ed's been back since March, so you can cross him off your worry list. Any Casey-related news?

Jock: Aye, aye!