6.28.2009

Ashcroft No More

I hoped, for his sake, he'd die quickly, as I rubbed his paralyzed body and listened to the soft cry accompanying each labored, gurgled last breath. His glassy eyes remained open, but saw nothing. He had slept on my pillow every night for the past three weeks, and this would be the final time.

It was rather serendipitous that I came home early on Friday, after all, and feel tempted to believe everything does happen for a reason. Ashcroft had contagious parasites, so mingling with the other cats wasn't an option - he would have spent his last day in the bathroom, alone. Instead, I carried him around as we watched movies and sat outside. He didn't seem hungry, though I offered all his favorite flavors of cat food. Eat, eat!

You never really know how alone you are until the day you lose a kitten. For a short time, I had a reason to go home.

4 comments:

Haphazardkat said...

oh no! :(
I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty :(

They leave a terrible empty space when they are gone from our lives.

Sultan said...

: (

A very sorrowful thing.

Michelle said...

I am sorry for the loss of your baby. I feel your pain because each time I lose a kitten or cat, it hurts terribly. I think we are the same in that our cats are like our children.

He was lucky to have spent his last moments with his Mommy who loved him. If one must go, that I would believe, would be the best way to go. Being in the company of a loved one.

((big hug))
Michelle

Terri G said...

My goodness, Colleen. This happened so long ago...I remember the event, but not the heartbreak of it.

I feel the heartbreak now.

I am so sorry.:(

Your last two lines reverberate in my empty house - very powerful.